The Speed Express keeps you informed on politics, business, sports, entertainment and much more.

  • assets/img
  • assets/img
  • assets/img
  • assets/img
  • assets/img
  • assets/img

Get In Touch

ArcelorMittal, Nippon Steel India JV to expand with 5B Dollar loan

business News

Industry News : A joint venture between ArcelorMittal, the world's largest steelmaker, and Nippon Steel India has secured a $5 billion loan from a consortium of global banks. The funds will be used to expand the capacity of their steel plant in the western Indian state of Gujarat.

The Expansion Plan and Benefits

The expansion project aims to increase the production capacity of the plant from its current 6 million tonnes per annum to 12 million tonnes. The plant, which produces flat steel products used in the automotive and construction sectors, is located in Hazira, Gujarat. The investment will also help to create new jobs and support local communities.

The loan was arranged by State Bank of India, which

acted as the coordinator, and included a group of 27 banks from around the world, including Citibank, Bank of America, and Standard Chartered. The funds will be provided over a period of five years and will be used to finance the expansion of the Hazira plant and the development of a new cold rolling mill complex.

The joint venture was established in 2019, with ArcelorMittal holding a 60% stake and Nippon Steel India owning the remaining 40%. The partnership has been successful in leveraging the strengths of both companies to increase their market share in India, which is the world's second-largest steel consumer after China.

The expansion plan is expected to strengthen the joint venture's position in the

“ Stay ahead of the news with The Speed Express. We delivers the latest, most accurate and relevant information on politics, business, sports, entertainment and more. Get informed, always. ”

Indian market and help to meet the growing demand for steel in the country. The Indian government has set an ambitious target of increasing the country's steel production capacity to 300 million tonnes by 2030, up from the current capacity of around 140 million tonnes.

Positive Impact on the Indian Economy and Steel Industry

The expansion project is expected to have a positive impact on the Indian economy and the steel industry. It will create new job opportunities and support the development of local communities. The increased production capacity will also help to reduce the country's dependence on imported steel and promote the growth of domestic steel manufacturers.

The joint venture's expansion plan is in line with the Indian

government's "Make in India" campaign, which aims to promote domestic manufacturing and reduce imports. The steel industry is a key sector for the Indian economy, and the government has been taking various measures to support its growth and development.

The $5 billion loan secured by the ArcelorMittal and Nippon Steel India joint venture will provide a significant boost to their expansion plans in India. The increased production capacity and the development of new infrastructure will help to meet the growing demand for steel in the country and support the government's efforts to promote domestic manufacturing. The joint venture's successful partnership demonstrates the benefits of international collaboration and the positive impact it can have on local communities and economies.


P. Saharan is a Writer at The Speed Express and has been covering the latest news. He covers a wide variety of news from early and late stage.

P. Saharan